Monday, August 25, 2014

ANOTHER TESTAMENT OF JESUS CHRIST

Hello everyone:):)
 
Another week... time is WAY TO CRAY-CRAY!
Perks of YSA branch.... we don't get glares if we use slang terms... haha But I promise I really don't use it a lot.... #hipster
 
It's been a great week. Mostly because it started off with ZONE CONFERENCE!!!! One of my favorite things about missions. I love President and Sister Weston SO MUCH!!!! I knew when I first received my call and found out that they were from Logan, UT, that there was definitely a reason as to why I would need to meet them. They have changed my life. I love them so much and seeing them always brightens my life.
 
 It was another incredible ZC. As a mission, we are focusing on the BOOK OF MORMON even more-so than we ever have before. As Presdient Weston has said, we're "flooding the missions with the Book of Mormon" My testimony of this book has increased sooooo much stronger after this week. It's been insane.
 
I'm only carrying a Book of Mormon with me everywhere I go. No longer carrying around my quad. Which was difficult at first, but really the BOM is all you need. President has asked us to get our own brand new copy of the book and start from he beginning again as a mission. Reading at least 5 pages a day and focusing on any mentions of our Savior Jesus Christ, and the word HEART. Because we're focusing on the atonement and how we can receive a change of heart through the Book of Mormon. So just like he's challenged all of us... we're challenging the branch to do it with us..
 
and... I'M CHALLENGING YOU!!!!! If you start today- reading 5 chapters a day. You'll finish with us around the first week of December. Right before Christmas and soon before my return back to the land of Utah. DO IT!!! I can PROMISE that as you focus on these things, the Book of Mormon will continually refine you and change your heart to be one with His. I challenge you!! I will be sending updates weekly on about where you should be at in the book and we can do it together.
 
This is what President sent us today: "Today is our start of reading the Book of Mormon together! Please invite all to read with us (your family, friends, members, part member families, investigators) 5 pages per day ending on December 8, 2014. Center your reading on The Atonement and having a change of HEART! I know our Mission will be drawn nearer to God as we abide by its precepts. "
 
Really, I'm not kidding... do it with us! Start over:)
 
I had the strongest urge to go up in zone conference and share my testimony of the Book of Mormon when they opened it up at the end for testimony meeting. The spirit is incredible.
I love the missionaries here so much!! It freaks me out that at each end of the transfer, some of my best friends are heading back to their home-lands.... oh my..... SO SAD. BUT It's incredible to see them!!! I heard from the sisters that re-opened my Yankee Hill!! They are doing incredible. I am SO GLAD that that area re-opened since we left. It was so great to hear about all those I love that are there:)
 
Jose called us this week... he got challenged to do the "ice challenge" and made us come dump a bucket of ice water on his head... haha it was fun:) They we urged him to start reading the Book of Mormon with us as well. He is progressing a lot more than he has in the past. It's so great:):)
 
We helped Sister Hall can jelly this week. EXCITING! Learning life skills and all...
And then we helped Sister Robinson pickle cucumbers! WHOO for canning season!
 
School at UNK starts TODAY!!
We helped move in all the new freshman this last Friday. Spent ALL DAY on campus carrying totes and refrigerators and all that jazz into their dorm rooms. hah made me think of my first move to college. How grateful I am for my fam that I had to help me!!
There was this one family in particular that we helped. they were from Grand Island and the girl, Amanda, is a freshman. Her dad was sick, so it was just her and her mom. Keep in mind that the floors in these dorm rooms are CEMENT. Well, we helped them haul a LONG actual role of carpet up 3 flights of stairs and we laid carpet for them in this tiny dorm room. It was CRAZY!! Hah So all those just moving off to college... I hope you didn't forget your carpet! We stayed with them for an hour building all her furniture and lugging up a futon as well. It was crazy:) So hopefully we'll see her around campus!
Later that night was the "Blue and Gold Banquet" and all the clubs and teams had different booths set up. We had one as well!:) We handed out over 500 pass along cards and gave away about 17 Book of Mormons! YEAH! I talked to this guys from Brazil who has only been in America for about a week and was able to place him a Portuguese Book of Mormon. FUN STUFF!!
 
The Family Sisters had a baptism this week! For Karen:) We were teaching her daughter Kendyl. It was incredible! When we were on exchanges one time, I had the opportunity to teach Karen and it's been so amazing to see her growth in the gospel. She had been SO PREPARED and she was BEAMING as she came up out of that water. She thanked me especially for reaching out to her daughter. We both know she'll come around one day. :) I love them tons!
 
We also went to a funeral this last week... man, looking back, it's been the CRAZIEST week... hah
An old man from the family ward, Brother Phillips passed away :( He was the sweetest! He always stood at the entrance to the chapel on Sundays with his HUGE glasses (he was pretty-much blind). He'd grab your hand and do his best to stare into your eyes and he listened to your words SO deeply. I love him lots.... we had to opportunity to sing his favorite song, "I Believe In Christ" at his funeral. It was really good. Is it weird to say that I have really  NEVER been to an LDS funeral... ? Brother Phillips I think was one of my first.
 
We served at Goodwill this week and as we were sorting through and putting away books, there this young girl with this giant stack of books. She LOVES to read. She's a sophomore in HS and I talked about how my mom was a librarian, and began to tie in the Book of Mormon, she desired to have one, so we ran out to the car to give her one. You NEVER know who is searching for the truth. I love YOUNG WOMEN soooooooo much.. And I'm grateful that my Father in Heaven has given me the ability to be able to connect with them. They answer so many of my prayers.
 
Yesterday at church was exciting! One of my besties in the ward- Marleyna Dinkle submitted her mission papers<3 and we found out that one of the kids in the branch that never really had the desire to go on a mission, was influenced by the spirit and one of the members and has also decided to serve. That makes about 6 or 7 from the branch that have decided to serve or have started their papers since I've been here <3 It's the BEST!!
I feel so blessed that my father in Heaven hast trusted me enough to allow me to serve in a YSA branch. There are so many miracles and it's incredible to serve with the young adults in this world. Their testimonies are SO STRONG and many of them are way more prepared than I ever was to serve. I would never trade this experience for anything!!
 
The Book of Mormon is our shield and our sword.... I didn't have a solid testimony of it before my mission, but I urge all of you to get one. NOW it the time. We cannot wait. The prophets have commanded us to read it every day. Only through reading it will our hearts and souls be changed. Mormon 10:3-5. The Book of Mormon brings the spirit to us and the spirit will tell us the truth of all things. Will unfold the mysteries of God unto us when He wants them to be unfolded. This is the time to Prepare to meet our Father in Heaven. We aren't on this life to EARN Heaven, we are here to LEARN heaven. Learn as much as you can so that we will be more prepared to meet Him. Make the scriptures and prayer your #1 priority. Even if you've read the book, read it again. We will NEVER be finished reading it. I promise that the Lord will bless you with the things He sees you stand in need of. Our weaknesses are shown unto us the more that we learn, but our Savior only shows us our weaknesses so that we can, through Him, make the stronger. (Jacob 4:7) I KNOW without a doubt in my heart that this book is true. It's what we use to FIGHT and to DEFEND. Two in one!! I know that it testifies of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and I know that ONLY through his name, will we make it to live with our Father in Heaven again.
 
This is my testimony, In the name of my brother and Savior, Jesus Christ, Amen.
 
I love you all! I'm excited to hear your experiences if you choose to start the book over with our mission:) I KNOW miracles will happen and missionary opportunities will come your way!!
KEEP GOING STRONG!! keep on Keepin on!!!
-Sister Checketts
 
A poem that was sent to me: MY FAVORITE!!
 
A mission is a strange experience
It is a trial and a test.
A mission throws at you the worst
Yet, teaches you the best.
I've never been so happy,
I've never been so depressed.
I've never felt so forsaken,
I've never felt so blessed.
I've never been so confused,
Things have never been so clear.
I've never felt my Heavenly Father so distant,
He's never been so near.
I've never been so discouraged,
I've never been so full of hope.
I feel I could go on for forever,
I think I've come to the end of my rope.
I've never had it quite so easy,
I've never had it quite so tough.
Things have never been so smooth,
Things have never been so rough.
I've never traveled through more valleys,
I've never ascended more peaks.
I've never met so many nice people.
I've never met so many freaks!
I've never had so many ups,
I've never had so many downs.
I've never worn so many smiles,
I've never had so many frowns.
I've never been so lonely,
I've never had so many friends.
BOY, I hope this is over soon,
GOSH, I hope this never ends.
 
... it's true.
 
Pic: the crazy branch that I love so much!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment