Monday, September 29, 2014

The Depths of Humility

Good day, everyone!! IT'S ALMOST OCTOBER!!!!
 
You know what that means.... FALL!!! And SWEATERS!! And BOOTS!!! and (((CONFERENCE)))!!!! And MY BIRTHDAY!!!
That's right, folks... it's my favorite time of year!!!!
 
Funny story... last Monday, we were checking out at Wal-Mart and the register stopped working right when I was going to pay. The cashier called her boss over to look at it and I had a prompting to say "Why don't we pray??!" The boss kinda laughed and said "yeah.. Dear God, help us get this thing workin!". She pushed a few buttons and IT WORKED! :) I said "See! Prayer does work!!" And we gave them a pass-along card! It was super sweet. Some members we were going shopping with saw the whole thing too. Heavenly Father is wonderful!!:) And super humorous:)
 
I've been studying a lot about humility this week! After reading in the Book of Mormon and listening to the General Women's Broadcast this week (amazing, BTW) I've been thinking a lot about GIVING GOD THE GLORY HE DESERVES. That's exactly why Christ was chosen to be our savior (Moses 4:2) That's what Alma says is super important! (Mosiah 23:11) We are reallllllly NOTHING compared to the glory that God has. Seriously! We do... nothing.. hahah kinda weird to think about. But as I look back throughout the people I've taught and helped on my mission, I really feel like I didn't/haven't done much.... They all progress because GOD changed them. I just presented information and it was Him who changed their hearts. ONLY God can change hearts.
 
2 Nephi 9:42 says:
 And whoso knocketh, to him will he open; and the wise, and the learned, and they that are rich, who are puffed up because of their learning, and their wisdom, and their riches—yea, they are they whom he despiseth; and save they shall cast these things away, and consider themselves fools‍ before God, and come down in the depths of humility, he will not open unto them.
 
Mosiah 4:11 says:
 And again I say unto you as I have said before, that as ye have come to the knowledge of the glory of God, or if ye have known of his goodness and have tasted‍ of his love, and have received a remission‍ of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own nothingness, and his goodness‍ and long-suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourselves even in the depths of humility, calling‍ on the name of the Lord daily, and standing steadfastly‍ in the faith of that which is to come, which was spoken by the mouth of the angel.
 
It's important for us not to just be a missionary, but to BECOME a missionary. Our purpose is to INVITE others to come unto Christ because it's WHO we are... not because it's what we were only CALLED to do. This is something I have realized this past week. I shouldn't worry so much about the fruits of my efforts, I should just invite and teach others because it's what we desire and we shouldn't care too much about the outcomes the come from what we do. The Lord will make up the difference because we sure can't do a LOT.
 
Luke (our new Ward Mission Leader--- YES!! We FINALLY have a new WML after Johnny moved to Utah. Hah it's been like 4 months..) Brought up something profound in institute this last week. "There is no such thing as disobedience. Only obedience to God, or obedience to the Devil" Chose you this day whom you will serve!
 
Anyway.. those are some insights I've been thinking of <3 Be humble and BECOME a missionary. BECOMING A MISSIONARY IN OUR HEART IS THE ONLY WAY WE CAN BECOME LIKE OUR SAVIOR. Because really, that is EVERYTHING He did in His life on Earth. Missionary work.
 
We found out that one of our LA/Recent Converts is pregnant. That was a shock, we used to teach her boyfriend, but he wasn't too fond of us. So now she is having to make a lot of grown up choices. It's hard.. but it's helping her to really realize the importance of the Gospel.
 
We had interviews with President this week!! I love that man.... Holy cow.. got some GREAT insights and super great encouragement to keep going strong. Keep TRUSTING in the Lord and I cannot second guess my self anymore... If I second guess myself, I will be disappointed. Trust in Him FULLY.
 
We taught the YW in the family ward this week with the other sisters and did role plays. I am so impressed with the rising generation with how well they have been taught. They are way more knowledgeable that I ever was at their age! They will be amazing missionaries. Too cute <3
 
David- our investigator that has been taught by the missionaries for over a year now is RESET for baptism!! He finally prayed about a date and is set for October 25th <3 We just have to teach him the rest of the commandments and I think he can do it!!! It's soooo exciting! :) He has to re-quit smoking. Sister Goldsberry CRUSHED his cigarettes this last week. That was fun:) He also received his VERY first blessing this week and it was incredible!! He just has to keep turning heavenward. He knows the whole branch is here to support him physically, but he needs to do his part spiritually. The branch has been INCREDIBLE at fellowshipping everyone lately. It's amazing <3 <3 I love them SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!
 
I also received my..... trunky papers.... in the mail this week :/ :/ I tried my best not to think about it. My trunky papers is a letter from President Weston and stuff I need to fill out for my travel papers home. DON'T think/remind me about it... hah.
In my interviews with President... he flat out told me "You're not going to be in YSA forever..." I said "Forever... mission wise? Or forever forever..?" He just said "Both".... darn..... That means I'm leavin YSA probably at the end of this transfer. That breaks my heart!! Momma... you were right, I do have one more area left in me.... At least president always warns me.... Hah I don't know why I've been moved around so much.. Most sisters only get like 3 areas. If I leave here, I'll have 6. The Lord has His reasons <3
 
Anyway, the Women's Broadcast on Saturday was AMAZING!!! I love Uchtdorf so much!! And am doing my best to prepare for General Conference this next week. I KNOW we have a prophet on the Earth today. That is a HUGEEEEEE deal!! We all need to put aside all our plans that conflict with listening to them and put our full focus on the words they speak to us. The WORDS of the prophets and apostles TODAY and in the Book of Mormon are what the Lord uses to change our hearts. THAT is how we BECOME the missionary He wants us to be. Prepare yourself and pause from the world for ONLY 2 days, to listen. I PROMISE that as you do, you will receive the guidance and direction that you might not even know you are looking for or needing.
Goldsberry is goin CRAZY for my birthday... she's planning all these 'secret combinations' that I can't know about with the whole branch. Pretty sure they are throwin a surprise party... but she says it is going to be AMAZING because the whole branch is incorporating EVERYONE's talents for it. So everyone is truly coming together and the branch is more unified than I've seen the whole time I've been here..... I feel so honored to witness it!! The Fergusons also are coming down on Friday to take us to dinner for my birthday, so don't worry about me, we'll for sure be celebrating a LOT bigger than last year!!
 
Go to some corn mazes for me, or haunted houses!!
 
I love you all. I know this is the Lord's church and that we have a real, LIVING prophet on the Earth today that speaks to us with the words of our Savior. Please, listen.
I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen!
<3/ the one and only, Sister Checketts!
 
Us and the Elders e-mailin right now!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment