Monday, October 7, 2013

The Life of a 20-year-old Sister Missionary;)

Hey everyone!
 
THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the birthday wishes, letters, messages and thoughts from ya'll even from miles away. I cannot express to you how much I love an appreciate each and every one of you. My gratitude to my Father in Heaven this week has been overwhelming.
 
It was a great week!!
 
First off, I finished my first journal already!! Like, every page is full. Hah! Those who know me know I have to write everything down. It's crazy!! So #2 journal here we go!:)
 
We made applesauce this week! There are so many members here who grow incredible gardens and like everything they eat is home-grown. So we helped a member pick apples, and make applesauce! Mmmm it was good stuff:)
 
I got a letter from Rachel this week!! All the way from Japan:) Waaay too cool:) Miss her! She's doing wonderful :):)
 
I got a package from Scotty in Maryland! Haha he's too funny:)
 
We had crazy severe weather this week too, that was exciting! Maybe some of you heard about the tornados that came right through town? Okay, that's expanding a BIT. We were teaching one of our 14 year-old sweet investigators outside of her trailer when the sky just got darker and darker. I got some amazing pictures GORGEOUS. Then it started POURING. We were dancing with her out in the rain and then the tornado sirens went off. We got in the car and drove home. The rain just coming down in buckets and buckets. The wind was INSANE. We parked our car in the driveway to get it out from under the trees and ran inside the house. We were soaking wet. The member that we live with came running up telling us to join them downstairs. So we hurried to change into warm clothes and spent an hour our so in the basement doing our studies while the weather passed. There was a lot of wreckage in the towns nearby. There were two small tornados that touched down shortly. It didn't last too long, but it was fun:) I LOVE STORMS.
 
Okay, so how did everyone feel about conference??? let me tell ya, BEST BIRTHDAY EVER. We went over to a members house on Saturday. Our 14-year old sweet investigator joining us for the morning session. She had lots of questions but said that it all made so much more sense than what her preacher is telling her at her church.
 
Saturday night, we had just gotten in and started our planning when the doorbell rang. Our member came up the stairs and asked if we had ordered pizza. No...? We went downstairs and there was a pizza hut pizza man the handing me a pizza. Can I just tell you how cute my parents are? I opened it up and "20" was spelled out in pepperoni's on the pizza. I opened the desert breadsticks and '20" was written across them in frosting. Best. Parents. Ever. :) Too cute right? I just about died :)
 
Sunday was the best:) Not only was it my birthday and the members we live with made us cinnimon rolls and eggs (Eggie for Meggie), but we had a less-active family that came and joined us for the morning session too. They made me a cake!! And the talks were incredible. I took sooo many notes it isn't even funny.
 
Pres Uchtdorft's talk <3
S. Gifford Nielson's talk <3
Richard G. Scott's talk was just for me
and Terence M Vinson!! <3
 
So many prayers were answered. At the end of the Sunday morning session, after Pres. Monsons talk the choir sang "we thank thee oh, god for a prophet".
The spirit in the living room was so strong... holy cow, I was bawling. So many prayers answered. So much gratitude and thanksgiving running through my veins. God lives everyone. He loves me and I KNOW he loves you. WE HAVE A PROPHET TODAY. I love him i love him i love him. We all have a purpose in this life. We are all loved by the greatest being in the universe.
 
It's been a great week. Sorry my thoughts are so jumbled today. I'm still trying to process everything. Maybe some pictures will help.:)
 
Thank you all though so much. I get so overwhelmed when I look into my past and see all the many lives that have touched mine. Some of you don't even realize how big of an impact you have in my life and I hope I get better at letting you know how much you mean to me. I am so blessed. And the motto I am living with here on my mission is "where much is given, much is expected". I have been given so much... SO MUCH and I know that the only way I can even try to repay Him is by giving my all each and every day. Some days are harder than others, but I'll try every day to do my best, and when I come up short, that is what the atonement is for. None of us are perfect, so don't get upset with yourself for not being perfect, but all we can do is try. Just try your hardest and live your life with PURPOSE. Because you have a BIG purpose. A BIG potential. And the only way to catch a glimpse of the potential is to turn to your Father in heaven who knows what you can become.
 
I love him. And my biggest goal on my mission, is to KNOW Him. He's there. He's always there.
 
Have a great week! I love love love you all!!
-Sister Checketts

No comments:

Post a Comment